Copyright © 2023 Crowthorne Parish Council. All rights reserved.
Crowthorne Parish Council
THAMES VALLEY POLICE ALERT
Keep Your Home Safe This Summer
Don’t fall victim to opportunist burglars this summer!
At 9.30pm on Wednesday 24 July the elderly residents of a detached house close to Bracknell town centre that has a garden backing onto an alleyway disturbed a man as he was climbing in through their rear kitchen window which they had left open due to the hot weather. Fortunately the offender ran off without stealing anything or causing any injury. He fled back over the 6’ garden fence and along the path towards the town centre.
You can greatly reduce your risk of burglary by taking a few simple security measures to help make your property less attractive to thieves.
Most burglars are opportunists and target homes and businesses that offer the least risk of being caught, or present an easy opportunity such as open doors and ground floor windows.
Even during very hot weather when you may feel too warm within your home, the fact is that it may be warmer outside so keep the warm air out.
If you want to allow a breeze in, don’t leave doors or windows in unoccupied ground floor rooms wide open. Rather open upstairs windows. If your home has double glazed units you should find that the handles enable you to lock the windows whilst they are “open on the latch”. Older style windows can be fitted with a lock that does the same.
Going on holiday?
Whether you’re going away for a day or a few weeks, you should take steps to make your home look occupied. A dark home in the evenings and uncollected mail are signs to burglars that no one is home.
Before you go on holiday:
- Cancel any regular deliveries (milk, newspapers) and delay delivery of any on-line shopping orders until after your return.
- If you have regular Royal Mail post, register for their “Keepsake” service, so that a mountain of letters doesn’t build on your doormat.
- Set up automatic timer switches to turn on your lights as it gets dark.
- Move valuable items out of view of windows
- Don’t discuss holiday plans on social media. And remember that sharing holiday images and details on social media whilst you are away may invalidate your home insurance.
- Ask a trusted neighbour to watch over your home whilst you’re away
For more information on how to protect your home and belongings visit Thames Valley Police website.